The kitchen and buttery date from the end of the fifteenth century, from the time of Bishop Fox (Bishop of Durham, 1494-1501).
A Norman window under one of the fireplaces is an indication that Fox did not actually build an entirely new structure, but remodelled an older Norman construction, perhaps a defensive tower.
Fox's motto, a pelican piercing its breast, can be found on the wooden screen between the kitchen and preceding buttery, as can his motto, "est deo gratia".
Perhaps the most remarkable thing about the kitchen, other than its monumental scale, is that it has been in continuous use since it was first built in 1499.
The term "buttery", the area before the kitchen, comes from the French word "boterie", which was originally a place where wine was stored. This became a common term for a larder, but has no direct connection with the making or storage of butter!