The Northern Range forms one of the Castle’s two ranges of buildings.
Although much modified, the Castle's northern range was built in the late 12th century by Bishop Le Puiset (Pudsey; 1153-1195). It probably comprised of two super-imposed large halls which have now been subdivided.
The lower part of the façade on the courtyard is now hidden by the gallery constructed against it in the sixteenth century by Bishop Tunstall, (Bishop from 1530-1559). Tunstall did so to connect the Castle’s western range of buildings with the chapel and bell-tower that he built on the eastern side of the complex, adjacent to the keep.
A second chapel – the Norman Chapel – is situated directly below the Tunstall Chapel. The Norman Gallery is now used for student accommodation, whereas the Senate Rooms and Bishop's Suite are reserved for special uses.