Much of the Woodwork in the Cathedral Dates from the Seventeenth Century, from the Time of Bishop Cosin, Why?
Almost all of the earlier woodwork in the Cathedral is thought to have been damaged during the Civil War. The Cathedral was used as barracks by the Scottish army in 1640, and ten year later, as prison for Scotsmen captured by Oliver Cromwell.
The woodwork was damaged during this period, some simply through wear and tear; some perhaps used as firewood.
John Cosin, a prebend who returned to Durham as bishop after the restoration of the monarchy, replaced all of the destroyed woodwork. In parallel, he added the Black Staircase and other wooden panelling to the Castle.