Prior Castell's Clock
Installed during the time of Prior Thomas Castell (1494-1519), the clock was renovated by Dean Hunt between 1620 and 1638. It is the cathedral’s only wooden object known to have the survived the English Civil War, purportedly because it is embellished with a thistle, the symbol of Scotland, and was therefore spared being used as firewood by the Scottish army, who used the Cathedral as barracks in the 1640s.
In reality the clock's survival probably owes alot to the fact that it was an extremely valuable piece of technology.
The clock originally only had one hand, and has an unusual face with 48 (instead of the usual 60) markings.